Joined: 06 May 2005
Location: London, Ontario CANADA
|Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 am Post subject: London Ontario Golf Fundraiser June 24-25!
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LONDON ONTARIO GOLF FUNDRAISER FOR HEART & STROKE JUNE 24-25, 2011
THREE VENUES READY TO LAUNCH ANNUAL CHARITY EVENT
June 15, 2011 (London, ONT) – The 1st Annual London Ontario Golf Fundraiser for Heart & Stroke is only nine days away, with a trio of venues ready to raise funds for The Heart & Stroke Foundation of Ontario, and to raise awareness of stroke and heart disease.
The London Ontario Golf Heart Award ceremony at Dorchester Golf Club, Dorchester, Ont. June 24 at 11 a.m. will see a member of the local golf community recognized for giving back to the game, and helping to grow the game of a lifetime. Refreshments and snacks to follow in the clubhouse.
Also on June 24 at Jim Bob Ray’s, 585 Richmond St., London from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., a giant silent auction will raise money for Heart & Stroke. SAAB of London is the title sponsor of this year’s event. London Mayor Joe Fontana, and London West MP Ed Holder will attend the kickoff party, which includes entertainment from Chatham, Ont.’s Jade Lester, a multiple award-winning singer/songwriter and Fanshawe College student. Yes! Golf Canada will display their products and operate a putting skills area. The first 300 attendees will receive a free ticket to a London City Soccer Club game at Cove Road Field. There will be numerous free draw prizes, and free snacks throughout the evening. Scores of silent auction items include sets of golf clubs, golf bags, and framed, autographed photos of PGA Tour’s Mike Weir, and LPGA Tour’s Alena Sharp – just to name a few of the items up for bid. London Ontario Golf editor Jeffrey Reed, host of Forest City Fairways on Rogers TV (Thursdays 6:30 p.m.) will speak on behalf of the fundraiser committee.
On June 25, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., a golf marathon at Green Par Practice Range, 4680 Wellington Rd. S, London will see Reed & fellow teaching pro Rick Wilson offer all-day golf lessons for $5/ea., with all money raised going to Heart & Stroke. A physically-challenged athlete, Reed hit golf balls for eight straight hours in 2010, raising money for the London Anti-Bullying Coalition.
“It has always been my intention to create a legacy through LondonOntarioGolf.com, and that means recognizing the dedicated, giving members of the London and area golf community, as well as raising money for Heart & Stroke. My family has personally been affected by stroke and heart disease, so the cause really hits home,” Reed said.
A number of celebrity golfers and community members will be on hand at Green Par. Special note: London Ontario Golf editor Jeffrey Reed; Lynn Davis, Program Coordinator, The Heart & Stroke Foundation – London, Elgin & Middlesex; and Ward 4 Councillor Sandy White (representing London Mayor Joe Fontana’s office) will hit the ceremonial first tee shot at 10 a.m. sharp.
Our celebrity golfers will include:
• SAAB of London – Title Sponsor
• Wilson Staff golf equipment
• London Knights Hockey Club LW Colin Martin
• BX Breakfast co-hosts Dave Collins and Rachel Gilbert – BX93 92.7 FM
• 16-year-old golf sensation Brett McIntosh, 2-time men’s champion and 4-time junior boys’ champion, Greenhills Golf Club, London
• 10-year-old golf phenomenon Haley Barcley of Strathroy, Ont.
• Domino’s Pizza, London – selling food and beverages
• Marty Menard – “Marty the Health Guy” of Elite Personal Training Studio, London
• Ginger’s Physiotherapy Place – free mini massages
• London Ontario Golf editor Jeffrey Reed, host & community producer, Forest City Fairways on Rogers TV, and 2010 winner, Best Golf Website Feature Column (Golf Journalists Association of Canada)
• Ward 14 Councillor Sandy White
• Lynn Davis, Heart & Stroke Foundation
• Rick Wilson, teaching pro, Pleasant Valley Golf Club, St. Thomas
• Lucas Townend, Mother Teresa Catholic Secondary School Spartans junior football squad
• Brent MacVicar, owner, Green Par Practice Range
• Plus more TBA
Media members: if you would like to send a representative from your news room or marketing department to hit golf balls for a half hour, please contact Beth Reed Elizabeth@londonontariogolf.com or 519/668-4083 to book a time.
In addition to money raised through $5 all-day golf lessons, Domino’s Pizza will donate a portion of their sales to Heart & Stroke. All visitors to Green Par Practice Range will be encouraged to support the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Ontario. There will be a free draw for a prize package from Wilson Staff golf equipment.
For more information, contact Jeffrey Reed firstname.lastname@example.org 519/668-4083